Saturday, August 3, 2019

Thrifty

Author photo. "Salvation Army Thrift Store."


"Thrifting refers to the act of shopping at a thrift store, flea market, garage sale, or a shop of a charitable organization, usually with the intent of finding interesting items at a low price."




A recurring theme in the style blogs that I read is thrifting. Jody Filogomo, Jodie's Touch of Style, and Anna Parkes, Anna's Island Style, frequently feature thrifted/vintage/pre-owned items in their outfits of the day. Dutch blogger, Nancy Baten, Nancy's Fashion Style, did a posting about second-hand clothing just yesterday.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were not always appreciated by us children. But having parents who lived through the Great Depression meant that we followed the "waste not, want not" rule of thumb, whenever appropriate...which made the occasional splurges even more exciting. (We were a middle class family; thrift was a choice, not a necessity. And as the older of two girls, I only received the occasional out-grown item from a cousin. My younger sister might tell a different tale). I'll never forget the day that my mother bought me two pairs of leather sandals (on sale, of course). Or the yellow and white plaid wool jumper she and I purchased from an upscale boutique, at the unheard of price of $23.00! Obviously, such splurges were so noteworthy that I can recall them clearly, more than 50+ years later.

During my time in the UK, I visited a number of Oxfam shops. Our closest equivalent at home is the Salvation Army Thrift Store. I still donate items to that charity, but rarely find anything for my own wardrobe in their outlet. A much more promising shopping option nearby is Finders Keepers Consignments, an Aladdin's Cave of clothing, handbags, shoes, and jewelry. A congenial staff, whimsical displays, and interesting stock make for a fun shopping experience. This necklace and bracelet were a lucky score there last week.

Author photo. "Finders Keepers Consignments."



Author photo. "Necklace and bracelet."


Another place where I search for bargains is eBay. It's a buyer beware sort of option, and even pieces that seem to be desirable may not fit or be exactly what's needed. I have had some successes there, though, most recently a Talbot's cardigan in the oh-so-trendy leopard print. It pairs beautifully with my new necklace!



Tracking down a real bargain is much more satisfying than patronizing the Nordstrom Sale (which doesn't tempt me at all). And as Laura Bambrick, of I do deClaire, reminds us, in 4 Reasons Your Lifestyle Choices Matter, "Like it or not, the choices we make in our lifetime can impact the world and people around us....If you want to make a difference in the world, a great place to start is with your wardrobe."  



"Thrift is not an affair of the pocket, but an affair of character."
-S.W. Straus

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post! Thanks for the shout out, I appreciate that! I love to shop in antique shops when I am in the UK. In three weeks I will be there again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an antique child's ring that my mom bought when she was in the UK during WWII. Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete