Wednesday, July 17, 2019

What You Wear

 “What you wear is how you present yourself to the world, especially today, when human contacts are so quick. Fashion is instant language.” – Miuccia Prada

“When a woman says, ‘I have nothing to wear!’ what she really means is, ‘There’s nothing here for who I’m supposed to be today.’”– Caitlin Moran 


Author's photo c.1968 https://flic.kr/p/2yUHuP
So, how did I become interested in Style blogs? Like all women, my personal style has evolved over the years, from uniforms K-12, to rather preppy (think Villager skirt and sweater sets) in college, to whatever was comfortable but appropriate in a work setting, to mostly casual retirement wear.

I have always loved to travel. Before a trip, either to a conference, or, more frequently now, for personal trips, I would "shop my closet" to decide what clothing items looked good and worked well together. I started collecting Pins about capsule wardrobes and other travel tips to further refine my packing process. Some bloggers began to show up regularly under this topic, for example, Beth Djalali, of Style at a Certain Age and Susan Blakey of une femme d'un certain âge. Links from their pages led me to other sites, many, but not all, written by middle aged and older women.

Like so many others, I mourned the loss of Google Reader. These days, I pin links to my favorite style and travel blogs to this board, and check them daily. It's fun to see what's trendy and fresh; most of the clothes can be adapted to any age group or body type. Some tips are quite simple; for example, add a colored scarf close to your face to brighten a basic black outfit. Much more flattering for a 70ish complexion!

Author's photo Paris 2019 https://flic.kr/p/2gANMp8


I can't say that I'm a total success at carry-on only, but on a recent trip to France, my luggage was compact and I had plenty of outfit options. Between Pinterest and my own packing lists, I'm getting better at minimalizing and maximizing.

Next time, I'll share more of my favorite Style blogs, along with a list of some of the bloggers'
more interesting special posts.



"I'm a very strong believer in listening and learning from others." -Ruth Bader Ginsburg
I'm a very strong believer in listening and learning from others. Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Read more at https://www.brainyquote.com/search_results?q=learning+from+others


I'm a very strong believer in listening and learning from others. Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Read more at https://www.brainyquote.com/search_results?q=learning+from+others





2 comments:

  1. Very nice to have met your blog! I subscribed! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nancy. Your blog is one of my favorites...and I love the international connection!

    ReplyDelete