Thursday, July 11, 2019

Pin for the Win

"Pinterest boards" by diane cordell https://flic.kr/p/oYkbtd

A librarian colleague introduced me to Pinterest about 8 years ago. After a slow start, I realized how very versatile this social media web might prove.

Some of my personal uses include
  • Trip planner: I start a new board for each destination, gathering links to maps, attractions, and weather forecasts. Capsule wardrobes, pictures of possible luggage pieces, and packing tips are included. A visit to Paris and a Seine River cruise in May, and planned trips to Maine (August) and Disney World (November), also generated a flurry of pinning. Haven't been to Iceland yet, but a girl can dream.
  • Notebook: Whenever I find an interesting quote about photography, I stash it here, for possible use with images on Flickr.
  • Home remodeling: This board was very useful in providing visuals for our contractor when we spruced up two bathrooms. Now I'm starting to collect inspiration links for a bedroom spruce up.
  • Special events: In anticipation of a steampunk-themed conference get-together, I shared boards that featured clothing tips and a reading list with fellow attendees.
  • Style bloggers: This is my favorite board now; I check in daily. More about the blogs and bloggers in a future posting.
  • Professional applications: While still working as a K-12 teacher/librarian, I participated in some group boards tied to summer reading themes. With collection weeding in mind, I also saved some new uses for old books.
These are just a few examples of the ways in which Pinterest works for me. By clicking on an image, I can access cached information. Quick and easy, just my style!

All my public boards can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment